3.06.2010

Eurythmics at the 1984 Grammys

How is it I remained unaware until now that Annie Lennox performed in some serious male drag at the 1984 Grammys? By "serious," I mean without camping it up, without giving a cute reassuring wink to indicate that she'd be a girl again when the performance was over. The plainness, frankness, of this performance makes it far more exciting and transgressive to me than Madonna's much-talked-about VMA performance from the same year.

See below or click to view.

1 comment:

Collin Kelley said...

I have a lasting memory of watching that year's Grammy's because I was a huge Eurythmics and Madonna fan. When this came on, I distinctly remember my mother coming into the room, watching for a moment and saying: "Oh, he's sexy...he reminds me of Elvis. Who is this?" I laughed and said, "Mom, that's Annie Lennox...it's a woman." And mom said, "Well, she's pretty sexy, too."